Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Symphony and dinner of...children?


Master of his domain, Mr. Tubby Toby the Tabby
Sunday Evening's Post:

It was a beautiful day today, and in the sixties with a bit of a nippy breeze.

Originally, we were going to head over to Greenwich Point for a picnic, but decided against it and shared lunch in the sun with the door slightly ajar for Mr. Tubbers. Tubbers likes to run in and out of the house pretending like he controls the world. It's quite adorable, actually. The day was off to a very relaxing start.

This particular afternoon, we picked up one of Fanny's friends, Stella, as we had an extra ticket to the symphony, and drove over to the high school  to watch The Greenwich Symphony. (I think Tubbers was rather forelorn when he saw us leaving...he was standing by the door looking at us longingly before we left. Poor little guy).

The symphony was beautiful.  Grandpa and I both enjoyed listening to the music with our eyes closed for a good portion of it...it's a good thing he didn't start snoring. I can sympathize with him. It can be difficult to stare at the stage for 2 hours.
Pre-spring photo of the back garden...

We went to dinner at a VERY yummy restaurant called The Ginger Man. If you want a good sandwich/salad, I highly recommend it. I had the Applewood smoked ham with grilled onions and brie sandwich, Grandpa had a pear and gorgonzola salad, Fanny an eggplant sandwich which she gave half of to Grandpa. Grandpa was skeptical of eggplant containing any eggs, but he ate part of it despite his apprehension, Stella had, hm, I don't remember now. 

(I'm taking note of a few things while I'm here. Grandpa loves salad, anything plant, really. I've always been a salad lover too, but I'm guessing it really is the secret to his longevity, that and a good sense of humor, of course.)

So, we're sitting at the table, Grandpa to my left side and Fanny and Stella facing us from the wall. Above them there is an old beer advertisment with an illustration of a rather large belligerent looking man with a bolbus red nose drinking a foaming beer out of a big glass mug. Grandpa points to it and says, "Hey, Lucy, there's a guy for you."
"Oh, yeah, Grandpa. He's a real catch isn't he?" I smile. What's next?

He just snickers. Then he captures a snippet of Fanny's conversation with Stella. ..."I was thinking about it the other night...." She says.


"What, about sex? That's what she thinks about all the time. I bet you didn't know that about your mother, did you?" He snickers himself into a laughing fit. Fanny just rolls her eyes, and I laugh. He's on a roll tonight, that's for sure! Note that Grandpa thought and periodically thinks I'm Fanny's daughter. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, don't get the wrong idea.

We're looking over our menus deciding what to order when a child screams from behind us. Grandpa, quick as a whip leans towards me and says, "You better be careful what to order, they're killing children back there, who knows what you'll get."

Dinner was great, and while we're awaiting the bill, Grandpa is relaxed with his hands on his outstretched and rolled-up napkin. "What are you doing with the napkin, Grandpa?"

"Come here and I'll show you," he says, while taking it and putting it up to my neck with a devilish grin. "He he he..." laughing fit ensues. 
BUT they soon end. It was a really good day. 
 



1 comment:

  1. Wish I could meet your grandpa! Never a dull moment. Loved seeing the beautiful photos of your house and garden. Keep writing, Lucy!
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete